Thursday, March 28, 2013

Offender Update...

For those of you who have followed the case from the start, here's an update: The drunk driver who killed my brother (I'll just call her "the offender" for this post) has been on Home Incarceration for the last (almost) 3 years. Her sentence was 1 year in prison and 3 years HIP. Earlier this week my dad got a phone call that the offender could not be located by her equipment (ankle monitor) and was feared to have violated. A little while later, my dad got another call that "it's ok, she's been home all along and that the equipment had malfunctioned." That day, I called the Greenville, SC Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services. I spoke to a woman about the offender. I could not locate the offender on any online searches and I was trying to find out how long she had left on her sentence. A couple days go by and I finally get a call back today. The offender finished HIP yesterday and will be reporting to Dept of PPP on Monday to do 2 years community supervision. I will get a call next week explaining the parameters of her probation. I know she still has to pay my dad back for the funeral. She has only paid $100 over the last 2 years. I wish she'd go ahead and get it paid. Every time my dad gets a check, it'll be a reminder of Stephen's death. I also know she has to do 300 hours of community service. I really hope she'll use that time to do some good...maybe speak about what she did, the dangers of drunk driving, drinking under age, etc. I would also really like to hear from her. I'd like to know where her head is at right now. Strangely, I'd like to know how she's doing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel sorry about the tragedy your family suffered because of a reckless driver. Alcohol intake should really be in moderation. Our bodies have different levels of alcohol tolerance, and we must never exceed the limit. Though no sentence or punishment is enough to bring back the life of your brother, I hope that this will be a warning to all drivers who drive while under the influence of alcohol.

-Leora Yang