Saturday, August 21, 2010

Whatcha gonna do about it?

So, I just happened to stumble across an amazing story that I saw in the comments section of the heartbreaking story I posted before. His name is Matt Maher. He was your average all-American guy who had everything going for him, who chose to drink and drive and killed a father of six. He is now in prison for 5.5 years. Before he went to prison, he created a presentation called "I'm That Guy." Nobody ever thinks they're going to be "that guy," that they're invincible. But he became him. Yet, he lived every day thinking, What can I do to even begin to try and make up for it? He knows there's no way he can ever make up for it, but he can try to live his life to honor Hort Kap and his family.

I became fascinated with Matt Maher's website and his blog, which he writes from prison. I began corresponding with Matt's mother.

All of this got me thinking, what's Chrissie doing? She has not reached out to us since her sentencing. Before the sentencing, she sent me a card. She came to meet us (in person) without her attorney, to tell us how sorry she was and how she never went a day without thinking about Stephen or us. Yet, since the sentencing, I haven't heard a thing about her. She told us in person that she wants to work with MADD, she wants to talk to kids about what she did. She's supposed to be doing 300 hours of community service. I want to know what she's doing to begin to try to make up for what she did. Yeah, she did less than 1 year in prison. But that's to punish her. My punishment has lasted a lot longer than that. What's she going to do to help us? My dad and step-mom go to schools and speak to kids and young-adults all the time about the dangers of alcohol abuse and driving under the influence. My parents lost a son and they're doing more to make it mean something than the person who took him away has even tried to do.

The last thing I heard about her was when the South Carolina Victims Notification e-system called me and told me she was being released. I know she'll be on house arrest until April 2013. These are all facts that anybody can look up. I want to know what she's doing day-to-day. I want to know what she's doing for her community service. I want to know if she's giving speeches using my brother's name. I'm not trying to be a stalker, I just want to know if she's making good on her word, or if what she told us was just her way of trying to look good in the eyes of the court.

I know that people close to her have read this blog because they mentioned it in court. I hope they're still reading it. I hope she's reading it. Chrissie: If you are reading this, you can contact me. I want you to. I want to know that, since my brother can't live his life anymore, that you're making yours mean something. That you're doing something positive with yours and not just wallowing in self-pity. I want to know that you are trying to discourage people from making the same choices you did. I use every opportunity I have to tell people about what happened to my brother so that hopefully it will stick in someone's mind and when the opportunity presents itself to drink-and-drive or get a ride home, they will remember Stephen and Chrissie and think twice.

I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. I have forgiven her, even before court, I forgave her. I just want to know she's living her life for Stephen's memory and that what she did really affected her. It affected me. I'm suffering. I can't imagine how angry I would be if I knew that she was "over it," "it's in the past." I want her to contact me. Chrissie: I haven't moved. It's still the same address you sent the card to. Let me know how you're doing. Let me know what you're doing. I'm here.

For Matt Maher's story, click HERE.

No comments: